Lee Plaza was built in 1928 and exemplified the popular Art Deco architecture of the era. The building, rising to 15 floors, was first used as an ornate high rise hotel, then an upscale apartment with hotel services. It was last used as a senior citizen's home in the 1990s before finally closing its doors.
Not long ago, this grand piano occupied a place in Lee Plaza's first floor ballroom. Over the years, the piano decayed naturally and by means of force. It recently met its demise at the hands of some vandals and their experimentations with a bomb.
In 1981, Lee Plaza was registered as a historic site by the state of Michigan and was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places.